Monday, April 28, 2014

My Life As a Non-Elitist

I previously wrote a post about being a music elitist. I'm not going to link to it here because I'm embarrassed, but I'm sure you can find it if you really want. It's a moot point though because something magical happened over the blog break, my musical tastes expanded.

One of my biggest musical pet peeves used to be slow songs. I just didn't have the patience to listen to them. I used to go through albums and delete the slow songs before I added them to my library. But now I give them a chance. I guess I got more patience and there's now a bunch of slower songs that I enjoy just as much as anything else. I started something with myself to ensure that I actually gave every song in my library a fair shot. I really don't want to fall into the category that so many people find themselves in, of having a large music library and skipping over half the songs. So now when I listen to my music, I put it on random and put my phone in my pocket. If I actually don't like a song I'll delete it. But I ended up actually liking a lot of the songs I had previously always skipped over. There was actually a lot of awesome music that I kept skipping over. Here's an example of a great song that I previously would have skipped over or deleted. Shame on me.


I was also able to expand my musical horizons. I think that was just my desire to not only listen to as much music as possible, but also to as many different types of music. I've added electronic, rock, and even some metalcore to my music library. I was never against these genres because they do have awesome music, but it just felt weird adding these songs to my library. I've always listened to metal that takes influence from other genres so it's a natural extension to actually listen to music from these other genres regularly. There is so much awesome music out there that I might have missed - that I still might miss - but I will never stop expanding my horizons. I have a friend (you know who you are) who once said to me that it's a shame we'll never be able to listen to every single great band out there; there's just too many. We can always keep searching for music and find as much as we can, it's all anyone can do.

-Zombie Viking

No comments:

Post a Comment