Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I Hate Whiny Vocals

As I was getting in to metal, the route I took was straight to death metal. I listened to some progressive and folk metal too when I was first starting out (and got back in to folk metal later on), but even then I didn't listen to anything without harsh vocals. Most people say they can't stand growls and screams, well I can't stand whiny vocals.

Sweet tats bro! So br00tal
I actually had to acquire a liking of clean vocals. I can stand Dragonforce, Sabaton, Korpiklaani, and anyone who's voice doesn't crack as they're singing. This made it significantly harder for me to get in to power metal. I do enjoy power metal, but there's a really fine line between epic and annoying that too many bands seem to cross. If you're going to sing clean vocals, sing like a man! Of course, when I want to find an example I can't.. so I'll just post an example of a good power metal band instead, Sabaton.


Obviously, since metalcore is the personification of everything wrong with metal, it has its fair share of annoying vocals. Metalcore especially feels the need to insert whiny vocals in every damn song, no matter how good their vocalist is (and some are actually good, I'll admit it). Clean vocals in these songs sound like kids going through puberty. This is possibly because most metalcore bands haven't reached puberty yet.

If you're going to do something, do it right.

-Zombie Viking

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more about that metalcore stuff.

    Sing power metal like a man? Oh no, never :D I love Sonata Arctica's Picturing the Past or Stratovarius Find Your Own Voice (both songs sung extremely high).

    I have propably mentioned that I can't stand Sabaton much, for a prime example of a power metal band you should pick something like Blind Guardian or Stratovarius (last 2 albums at least), early Hammerfall/Sonata Arctica or super fun Powerwolf :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picturing the Past and Find Your Own Voice are as manly as it gets :P

    I probably should have picked Powerwolf, lol. I was listening to Sabaton at the time so I just put in their latest song. Sabaton is awesome though, I don't know why you don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in my opinion vocals suck big time, I really can't hear any talent here (raspy voice without any real power), solos aren't impressive and drums are just boring. Lyrics are ok and there are some interesting ideas in their music but that's not good enough for me. Well, don't mind me, I know how good reviews are these guys getting so I'm pretty alone with my opinion :D

    Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Dio, Galneryus, Powerwolf, Pathfinder, Vanishing Point, Cain's Offering, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Helloween, Nighwish, Edguy, Alestorm, Korpiklaani, Wintersun and even Dragonforce, Rhapsody of Fire, Winterstorm and Winterborn are my Power metal choices, last 2 are still young but there's some potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, I'm now remembering how long it took me to get into Sabaton. I agree about the music lacking a bit. They always showed potential but were never quite there. But the majority of the band left after their last album and I really think all of the new guys can make the band amazing.

    I like your power metal choices man. I also listen to the majority of those bands :D

    ReplyDelete